Sunday, May 9, 2010

"I Often Go Walking..."

Happy Mommy's Day!!
So today is mommy's day. And I love my mommy I really do. But since it is Sunday I went to church. And as tradition has it in the LDS church the primary children prepared a few songs for the mothers. My ward has about 100 kids in the primary and they started to sing "I Often Go Walking" it was so cute. I saw the kids I used to baby sit being all grown up. And all the little nursery kids not quite knowing the song. It was very cute. The tears were stinging my eyes. It was not until the second song they started singing did the tears begin to fall. As I looked at the mother's in the congregation there were very few dry eyes. The song they sung was from the Children's Friend I believe. But it was very touching. Even to me that does not have a kid. And will not anytime soon. As thes thoughts were crossing my mind I found my self wishing I was a mother. Now, this is nothing new, however, the realization was. I would like a child within in the next five years. I know that it is not impossible to achieve this goal. I just think of all my friends that are pregnant and are expecting their first child, and I find my self wishing I was in their shoes. Because the appreciation a mother receives from her child is one I cannot wait to have. So for those mothers that may read my blog, you are the ones I look up to. And I cannot wait to have the experiences you have.
In Relief Society, we heard a few wonderful poems about mothers. They were touching. The one I loved was this.

In honor of All Moms on Mother's Day - Words filled with wisdom By Erma Bombeck

When the good Lord was creating mothers, He was into His sixth day of "overtime" when the angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order? --

She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; Have 180 moveable parts . . . all replaceable; Run on black coffee and leftovers; Have a lap that disappears when she stands up; A kiss that can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair; And six pairs of hands...

The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands . . . no way."

"It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord. "It's the three pairs of eyes that mothers have to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded.

"One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks, 'What are you kids doing in there?' when she already knows. Another here in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn't but what she has to know, and of course the ones here in front that can look at a child when he goofs up and say, 'I understand and I love you' without so much as uttering a word."

"Lord," said the angel, touching His sleeve gently, "Come to bed. Tomorrow . . ."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I'm so close to creating something so close to myself. Already I have one who heals herself when she is sick . . . can feed a family of six on one pound of hamburger . . . and can get a nine year-old to stand under a shower."

The angel circled the model of a mother very slowly. "It's too soft," she sighed.

"But tough!" said The Lord excitedly. "You cannot imagine what this mother can do or endure."

The angel asked, "Can it think?"

"Not only think, but it can reason and compromise," said The Creator.

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told You You were trying to put too much into this model."

"It's not a leak," said the Lord, "It's a tear."

"What's it for?" asked the angel.

"It's for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness and pride," The Lord replied.

"You are a genius," said the angel.

The Lord looked somber.

"I didn't put it there," he said.

Mothers are genius. I can't wait to be one.

Now, mothers day would be complete if I did not tell you a story about my mother. She may not want to know this but every so often I catch my mom being just like her parents. My mother has this wink that she does when ever she is proud of me. It is just subtle, but he father does. I see it so often. And my mother's laugh is the exact same as my grandmothers'. I find it odd that as I grow older I know I will find my mom qualities in me. If I could be almost exactly like my mother when I am a mother I would be a very happy woman.
I love my mother, and I love all of the soon to be mothers.
Love you all.
Elora

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

This is sooo cute I cried. I miss you. I can't wait to see you, may we go swing?

layout